Sunday, May 20, 2012

Second Set of Projects from DCWV Tradewinds Paper : Altered Book and Tag!


Hello crafty ladies; I hope everybody is having a happy scrappy time...

I'm excited to share my altered project with you guys.  I, as I am sure you do too,have and always will encourage my children to read read read. Lucky for me they love reading as much as I do!  One of our favourite reads is Little Women by Louise M Alcott. The book we have is old with a worn cover; and the first few pages were really tattered. I decided to use one of our favourite books to alter with the gorgeous DCWV Tradewinds paper. .



I chose feminine paper from the stack i.e. red roses with gold glitter.  I chose some maroon toned paper from the stack as well, measured and glued it down on the spine of the book. Glued some fine mustard/yellow string along the edge of the maroon paper  and added the lace on the spine for more of a delicate effect.






Now who wouldn't like to read a book with such a lovely cover or have it decorating your bookshelf. The possibilities are endless ladies; go into Paperlane, pick some papers that appeal to you and alter your books. 

What is a book without a page marker??!!

In this case I made a matching tag for my newly altered book. As you can see this tag depicts a very elegant lady, much like the characters in the book. The lamp stamp on the reverse side of the tag is also indicative of a lady's room where she would keep such a decorative lamp as she settles down to read a favourite book.

I did a mixed media technique using old newspaper images and mod podge to create the background I wanted. I inked the tag with quite a few distress inks - vintage photo, brushed corduroy, victorian velvet, walnut stain and black soot. I cut 2 petals off a black flower and used glossy accents for gloss and finger dabbed the stickles to age it - I glued the flower onto a small piece of black lace to create the accessory on her hair. On the image she has flowers on her dress so I applied flower soft to accentuate them. I glimmer misted a petite white flower to match the hues of the tag. A strip of lace near the bottom and some bling for her necklace and earring finished off the one side of the tag. 


Isn't she gorgeous ladies!!!

The flip side of the tag is quite simple - stamped a vine, lace border and a lampshade. Glimmer misted a tiny strip of lace and used it to decorate the edge of the lamp shade. Some black and brown fibre finished off my tag.



Materials Used
Book
DCWV Tradewinds paper, Creme lace, glittery swirl
Tim Holtz name plate and 4 x corner embellishments
Brads, yellow string, Glue and glue gun

Tag
Ranger tag, Black lace, flowers, Flower soft
Vintage lady image (Internet)
Old newspaper images, mod podge
Vine, lace and script stamps
Various distress inks
Viva pink glimmer mist
Vintage photo stickles
Pink bling, feather
Black & brown fibres

I hope you enjoy this project as much as I enjoyed making it. If you ladies are interested in altering your own books please contact Paperlane.
Remember ladies there is no right or wrong when it comes to scrapbooking! Surround yourself with beautiful papers and embelishments and you will create beautiful projects! So have fun fun fun! Catch you later, Janine