Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Design Inspiration for DCWV Tradewinds stack pad- Make a Mini Canvas!

Happy sunny Tuesday aftie, everyone!!!

We are now on to the second series of Design Inspirations using stack pads from DCWV - this time it is the Tradewinds pad, to be explored by our DT Janine Smith.

You're bound to pick up a lot of nifty tips and techniques in the ff days, so do sit back and enjoy our feature of Design Inspirations for Tradewinds stack pad!


Hello crafty ladies; I hope everybody is having a happy scrappy time...


The DCWV Tradewinds papers are sooo beautiful ladies; you must go and check it out!  The papers are so versatile and an absolute pleasure to work with; there is so much one can do with this paper stack - I had an absolute ball making this mini canvas!


I created this canvas showcasing my husband and I - I will gift it to him on our anniversary.  Heart shapes are symbolic of love isn't that so ladies so yay I used them all over my canvas! Oh and a touch of red too!


This is a very simple project ladies anyone can do it! 


I painted the canvas with burnt umber acrylic paint; cut a doily in half and glued it onto the canvas.  Next I measured and cut a chosen patterned paper from the stack; then I tore it roughly and with double sided tape, fixed it onto the canvas and doily.


The heart shaped chipboard is part of a mini book so I used only 1 and covered it with paper, inked the edges with brushed corduroy  and adhered it onto the canvas with my glue gun. I cut our photo in a heart shape, matted it onto red heart shaped card stock before mounting it onto the heart shaped chipboard. 


The heart shapes found on the canvas represents our love for each other and I chose the paper with the key images to represent our blessed time together; I also complimented the key images on the paper by adding the key sticker on top of the paper doily. The heart at the right hand corner I shaped with crafting wire and masking tape. 


There are two different glittery swirl types under the flowers. The flowers compliment the browns and creams in the paper perfectly and I carried this forward by choosing a Tim Holtz alphabet for my sentiment and the date of our anniversary. I added a splash of colour by using red in the ribbon outlining my photo.
















Materials I used


Mini canvas

Tradewinds paper stack

Paper Lane heart shaped chipboard mini book

Prima and mulberry flowers, leaves

Silver glitter swirl, brown and gold glitter swirl sticker

Craft wire, masking tape

Tim Holtz alphabet letters

Red heart ribbon, cream lace

Paper lane trim, paper doily,

Key sticker ( Echo Park yours truly paper pack)

Brushed corduroy distress ink

Burnt umber acrylic paint, paint brush

Month of May cut from old calendar

Glue, double sided tape, glue gun
I hope you enjoy this mini canvas as much as I enjoyed making it.  If you ladies are interested in creating your own mini canvas please contact Paperlane.


Remember ladies there is no right or wrong when it comes to scrapbooking!  Surround yourself with beautiful papers and embellishments and you will create beautiful projects!  So have fun fun fun!  Catch you later, Janine